Code of Ethics
Healthcare Quality Professionals recognize personal accountability and moral obligation to all customers served: clients, employees, employers, physicians, organizations, and the public. Healthcare Quality Professionals are committed to maintaining the integrity of the practice of quality and performance improvement. The key elements defining the standards of conduct for the Healthcare Quality Professional are: commitment, confidentiality, and relationships.
The Healthcare Quality Professional agrees to uphold and promote the dignity of the profession and is committed to:
- Practicing the profession with honesty, integrity, and accountability
- Maintaining the level of competency as outlined in the Standards of Practice for Healthcare Quality Professionals
- Seeking the trust and confidence of all customers
- Supporting the Standards of Practice for Healthcare Quality Professionals
- Respecting all laws, and avoiding involvement in any false, fraudulent, or deceptive activity
- Promoting the right of privacy for all individuals and protecting the maintenance of confidential information to the fullest extent permitted by law
- Using expertise to inform employers or clients of possible positive and negative outcomes of management decisions in an effort to facilitate informed decision making
- Giving credit for the work of others to whom it is due
- Aiding the professional development and advancement of colleagues
- Using the Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) designation only after passing the written examination and adhering to standards established by the Healthcare Quality Certification Board (HQCB), and continuing to maintain those standards through the recertification process.
- Maintaining membership in professional organizations as a means of promoting quality and professional growth, avoiding the use of such membership for the sole purpose of solicitation of business or for personal financial gain